Sunday, January 25, 2009

Journey Part 2

I decided to name "Lester" ---> Bogey because of his registered name, A Chip Off the Tee. And golf is cute. So Bogey's his new name. When he came home on the day after Christmas we didn't have a lot of time to get to know each other. Here's the journey of how we are getting close and growing together:

During my Christmas break, I did get a few things taught and worked out with Bo. First of all, we're pulling his shoes, he has had all four for quite some time and I feel that he needs a couple months to just let them grow. They are really nice right now, so I have to be careful finding a new farrier, since mine lives in Texas now. If anyone knows of any really great farriers in south-central, MN just let me know.

Secondly, we have to work on his "buttons" and cues. He had a slight spur stop started on him and I don't ride with one, so we are having some stalling periods with cues and my assertiveness.

He does have some awesome points that I don't need to fix or do anything with:
- He w/t/c on a lunge line very well, nice and slow and respectful
- He leads really well
- Ties/Clips awesomely (I did his bridle-path and rubbed his ears with the clippers without a flinch!
- He does everything so awesomely on the ground (so what do I have to complain about!)

The things we need to work on are:
- Undersaddle, we are still working on cues and well sometimes he becomes stubborn and I don't understand so, that should work out with time. He's very gentle, but oh so big! We just need to grow together.

What I am working on with him when I go home is showmanship work. I love showmanship, it's my favorite event because you do not need a 10 grand horse to win it, you just need time and your own precision. Bogey and I are working on this. We are getting the trot offs and gaging the speed down pat, but the set ups are a little slow and pivots are just started. He's such a big horse that moving that whole body around takes a little effort, which he does not like.

He's a really awesome horse, and tomorrow I get to see him and work with him!



Here's a picture of him trying on his new to him show p-j's. I had to see if my old geldings slinkies would fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment