Sunday, February 1, 2009

Ride the Right Horse


Right the Right Horse by Yvonne Barteau is a wonderful book to any horseman's collection. I just wanted to put this in here because this is the second time I have borrowed the book from my local libraries and I need to go out and purchase one of my own. I thought this book would be a good one to read only once, boy was I ever wrong. This is a wonderful book to deal with horse personalities and your own riding styles based upon your personality and your horse's.

My previous horse Tater Tot, was a Social/Challenging Mix. With this personality type he loved to talk with all those around him and did not like leaving his buddies. The challenging portion of him allowed him to tune out and disregard some cues and "do his own thing" many times. He never pushed the limits, but he did go right up to them.

Bogey on the other hand is a Aloof/Challenging Mix. He shows the Challenging portion when he pins his ears back at meal times and likes to "test" you to see how much he can get away with during the day. The Aloof portion of him brings in a component of not caring about the world around him. When we moved him to the boarding barn in Winnebago he called out once to the other horses and that was it. No other expressions. I haven't heard him make any noise at all, now that I think of it, except for that one time upon his new arrival.

This will be an interesting personality type to work with because of the disassociation from me as well as the testing. I love having a puppy dog type horse, which was Tater Tot, but who knows how this one will go. It is probably best that he is an aloof type because I am gone at school most of the year.

***I need to tell about how my week with him went, I only got to see him about 3 times, which was a bummer.

Second semester starts tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to it. I'm a homebody and really would like to be home right now, but I have to be at school. One good thing though, a friend of mine has the pre-calculus book I need and she'll let me borrow it - for FREE! That's a $40 I don't have to spend.

I think I'm going to wind down and have a quiet evening alone with a couple books. This coming semester will be tough so I better study more. Who am I kidding, I better just study!

No comments:

Post a Comment