Wednesday, April 14, 2010

All I ever need to know... I learned from YouTube.

Oh that old adage, "all I ever need to know I learned from kindergarten". Well kindergarten, you have been replaced - welcome YouTube.

YouTube is a culmination of videos from all around the world. Are all of them beneficial? Maybe not, but can you learn something? Probably. Sometimes all that you learn is what not to do, but that's something. I adore YouTube for the simple reason as it helps in my never ending quest for equine knowledge. Right on my computer screen I can see the world champion trainers giving me lessons - for free! Yep, you heard it right, all free. Now, no they do not address me by name, and sure maybe they are trying to sell something, whether a product or a horse. But, each time I click that little red triangle to hit play, I learn something.

Case in point: I just subscribed to a very famous pleasure horse trainer's channel recently. On his channel he shows the beginning stages, 30, 60, 75 day marks of two of his two year olds he's preparing for futurities. With these short videos, upon close examination, one can learn what a two year old should be doing in the timeframe, as well as training tips, tricks, or hints. Now, mind you, this is no replacement for getting out and actually riding your horse and practicing on your own - but it sure is great for a college student stuck in the middle of the city.

I currently subscribe to around 75 YouTube channels - maybe I should go study now instead....

4 comments:

  1. I'll agree with you that youtube can be a wonderful thing and that there is a ton of information worth mining on there - but I don't know that I would use (famous trainer's) two year old as a guide on how mine or any other one should be coming along. Horses just don't move along at the same speed. Sometimes no matter how bad you want it sooner, and how hard you work, your horse won't be ready to show at all until he is 5. Frustrating, I know first hand.

    What I think would be great - is a video series on how he selected that horse. Out of the maybe 100 or more he got to choose from (I kid you not) he picked a horse that was maturing physically and mentally fast enough that he was almost certain it would not not only capable of performing in a 2-yr old futurity but perhaps winning it. He selected the best of the best - from a well paying client no doubt. While other horses may go on to beat that Futurity horse in the future as a 3 or 4yr old - he selected the horse that would be GREAT at age 2. THAT would be an interesting process to see.

    It's all up to the horse on how it moves along in maturity and training. Some horses 90 day to learn what that one did in 30. The are not bad - just different, a little slower....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your insights Stephanie! I know that the particular trainer I was talking about had these horses for sale from his own breeding program/clients programs. These were horses that he had for sale on his website with purchasing deals for them to stay within house. These horses I believe he has worked with their bloodlines in the past and maybe even their dams/sires. The horses he has as his 2 year old prospects he has videos from yearling ground-driving, first rides, 30 days, 60 and now 90 days. Currently I believe there are 180 days of constant work on these horses (as he ground-drives them for 90).

    I do believe that the videos can be a guide as to an upper level program, now mine is not and I have a 6 year old just getting into the bridle this year. I totally understand to not make too hasty of comparisons. They are just great guides for someone wanting to better themselves. Who to learn from then the best? Right. :D

    The Kaven's do have a video series on selecting a pleasure prospect and I do believe Cleve Wells has a video as well. I can't recommend either as I haven't seen them, but might be worth looking into.

    Thanks so much for your comment! I love reading your blog and feel you have a wealth of knowledge. Do stop by more and comment away - I would love to learn a piece of your knowledge! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I have seen both of those videos (the cleve wells one is not bad).....but.... they are holding back (maybe not on purpose as there are things you just can't explain with words or in an hour), I know they are because what I learn from my trainer. They are always familiar with bloodlines and that's alot of it (right mare with the right stud)...by my gut says there's more...

    I want to know the good stuff.....but on the other hand if everyone could pick out a World Champion why pay a trainer so much...

    My trainer does the same thing if he comes across a star he will do everything in his power to get the new ower's of that horse to stay in the barn so he can train it and show it....

    2 Year Olds seem like such a gamble to me anymore - definitely a game for those with more money than I. (wink)

    ReplyDelete
  4. :D True that! Interesting about the videos - I'll have to see if I can get my hands on them - I bet you have it pegged the holding back part. I repeatedly come across forum posts giving grooming tricks and then saying at the end "there's more, but I save that for my clients". Such a pay to play world.

    Maybe if we continually watch the youtube videos of the great ones - we'll train our eye and be able to pick one. :D Lol. But then we'd have to win the lottery to pay the BNT trainer - but that's another story! :D

    ReplyDelete