Wednesday, June 22, 2011

You win some, you lose some...

This look shows Bogey's feelings about today and the weather we've been having. Photo taken 1/2009.


As famously perfect the Bogey horse was on Sunday's show day. Tonight's practice was a semblance of a flop. I need to give him credit though, as normal horses go - he did great. My expectations for him: he fell a little short.

My BHF (best horse friend) gave the county 4-H clinic tonight on showmanship. She asked me to help out and bring my horses, because mine is older and more well behaved than hers (ha ha!), and is pretty much finished in showmanship now (Yay!). She was going to bring her horse as well and deck him out show ready, but with the weather decided to pass. I then offered to prep Bogey as if for show day.

This took a long time as the weather was rainy and I like to take my time and prep Bogey extensively. I washed him, banded him, clipped his stockings, blaze and whiskers (didn't want to fight with his ears - I always have to twitch him :( ), whitened his legs, chalked and greased his face, and put in his tail. Some of this was done at the clinic, but most was done throughout the day. Bogey was tied then for a long time considering all of those activities. I did have a hay bag in front of him, but any horse would be bored.

Once we got to the clinic he was really looky. I had him tied to a fence post - he spooked and jerked back really hard. How dumb, but very much a horse thing! Somewhat embarrassing as well since this was in front of some of my old 4-H members and I knew almost everyone there. That wasn't all! When I was warming him up for the showmanship clinic, I cued him to back up and he took it too sharply and banged himself on the chain, freaked out and backed into a friends horse. Thankfully, it was a friend and she was very forgiving, but come on Bogey! He knows better.

During the clinic then he did do a lot better. He was very crisp in his pivots (something we've been working on and a goal), and he was excellent in his set ups (yay goal). His backs were straight and good excluding the one freak out. He also did a whole bunch of killer pull turns!

It was slightly unnerving to have the kids ask you to do the pattern after you've been critiquing them. Thankfully, Bogey and I did ok - and then laid down an awesome killer pattern in the end! Yay, us!

He did get sick of waiting though closer to the ending of the clinic and didn't stay lined up, but he was probably bored and he was oddly really thirsty when we got home so that may be a factor as well.

Things to consider:
- Ok, the weather was bad - rainy, cold, changing weather patterns
- Bogey hasn't been worked since the show because of his hooves being trimmed and the bad weather we've been having. Can't ride when its pouring out and it has been for days!
- Bogey had to go through the whole show grooming routine - that did take me many hours and he was tied the whole time.
- He had to stand and be patient throughout the whole 2 1/2 hour clinic.

Ok, all things considered Bogey did great, but I was slightly disappointed in him and somewhat embarrassed, horses sure humble you. Thank goodness we did lay down a few killer patterns towards the end, and Saturday will be a continuation of this clinic. Tomorrow really is another day. ;D

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I know those days, it happens, not much you can do but your best. We have had some of that same dreary, rainy weather, oh well. Its sunny so far today, but still wet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, I'm getting sick of all the rain and clouds. I want some sun! Though, I do like the cooler weather - just without the rain. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true, it is kind of nice that we have stayed cool, but yeah without all the rain, lol! Looks like it is going to warm & dry up a little now though.

    ReplyDelete