Thursday, June 30, 2011

Warm Weather

Worked with Bogey a little yesterday and today, but today was way too warm. Heat index of 105 - not going to ride in that weather just yet.

Both yesterday and today I did a little ground work with Bogey. Working on flexing, side-passing/moving ribs on the ground, moving hindquarters, pivots, and large and small lunge circles. Both days ending with some minor showmanship exercises - set-ups, pivots, backing.

Bogey was pretty pushy yesterday, so more backing up was ordered and today the pushiness was gone - great! But, he did pretend to try to bite me while I was asking him to move his hips over, that resulted in a slight come to Jesus back up session and he and I both forgot about it. Sometimes it's really nice having a smart horse, other times not so much - you really have to be on your toes, but you only have to correct them once.

With the heat index as it is, the groundwork sessions were conducted in the pole barn, and I hosed both Bogey and Nancy off at noon and then late afternoon after his work out. They both received their breakfast and supper a la' soup, soaked in water and they both loved it!

On not related to horse news, I did take my clippers out and shaved a couple long haired kittens. They are grateful now, but that was a different story when I was clipping them. Good thing they are so very tame. The weather is supposed to be a little cooler out tomorrow, hopefully I'll be able to take Bogey up to the arena and ride.

2 comments:

  1. I know all about the warm weather, didn't work with my horses Thursday, but worked most of the day, so that's part of it, but yeah, hot!

    Boy, I think you are brave clipping cats by the way, I really cannot imagine they sit very still for that :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were very tame house-kittens that were just taken out to the barn, only 7 weeks old - they didn't know what happened till it was over.

    Weather looks cooler next week. Stay out of the storms though - southern MN is getting hit, hopefully it doesn't come up your way. :D

    ReplyDelete