Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Spring Break Part 1

Since my horses are over two hours away, my spring break was a joyful time of reconnecting and re-establishing manners. Bogey was a saint for most of the break and Nancy was a little more naughty than usual, but overall they both were great.

The first day of my break I had my farrier KH out to trim Bogey's hooves. They had gotten quite long as KH wanted to give Bogey a longer interval to see how his feet naturally progress. Bogey is a high/low horse with a negative planar hoof and one that has correctly positioned coffin bone. This makes one hoof stack up tall with a large quantity of heel and the other to splay out forward with low heels. Both very difficult to work with and remedy. The splayed out hoof also is slightly pigeon toed and he paddle foots with that one when it is too long.

KH took this interval to see where we've progressed and how Bogey naturally works his own feet. My farrier believes in a natural balance hoof trimming with modification. He's not afraid to put a package of shoes on, but prefers to see where the horse naturally do best, whether with shoes or without.

After the trim, Bogey was a bit sore and landed a bit toe first on his splayed right fore hoof, which was not fun. We called it good as he was sound enough and KH told me to take it easy for the next couple of days and give him a two day rest. Not a fun way to start out my break, but all for the Bogey horse.

The two day break turned into five day break and my spring break was almost over. During Bogey's slightly off period we did work showmanship set-ups and I have to say he is doing famously. He understands clearly which hoof I am asking him to move and is stacking up fairly correctly every time. I'm very excited about that!

During his break I did give him some bute and found out that he has an unusual response to the drug. Bogey completely mellows out and takes a nap. All of the other horses I've worked with become completely bonkers after having some bute. It's nice to know that my horse is such a light weight. Or as my BHF (Best Horse Friend) states, "He's a cheap date." Good gracious Bogey, what shall we do with you!?!

I'm going to have to put these postings into a series of Spring Break horse fun, as I can't use up all my good material in just one. :D

I also have some additional ideas and backtracking to do and look into. <--- Note to self.

-Amy

Spring Break Part 2

3 comments:

  1. We did get plastered with snow up here, but not as badly as they had once expected, I think we got enough of it in rain and sleet so that it wasn't quite as much volume. I was pretty sure I was ready for spring, but apparently we just needed to back track to winter a little bit here...oh well.

    Bummer that you had to give him a rest period over your spring break, cuts back on that riding time a little. I was down towards southern Minnesota for a few days of my spring break. The mud there was a little different than here, soils a little more sandy so less mucky.

    I must say, never seen that one before BHF, love it :).

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 There's no other way to describe her, she is amazing! Everyone needs a BHF. Spring break ended great though and I'll have a post up for that one.

    Bogey always comes back refreshed from breaks and I feel as if he almost solidifies learning and comes back more trained than before.

    It's still snowing in the Twin Cities now, my roomies think it's grand, but I'm a bit pissed haha. Come on spring, where are you?!?

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, well we had classes canceled until noon. I guess there was 9 inches of snow around here and a few major interstates closed. I made it out and into the world though :).

    I know that feeling, sometimes I find that giving a horse a little break can work wonders.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete